Loading...
Home2020-04-15T01:27:45+00:00

 THE GAP LOCAL HISTORY

Founding Families

View All Photos
View All Families
View All Articles

 THE GAP HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Local History

Early Days of The Gap

While there is no doubt that the first inhabitants of our area were members of the Tarrbul (Turrabul) group of Aboriginals, a small number of Europeans squatted in small humpies,

Enoggera Reservoir

The establishment in 1824 of a penal settlement at Redcliffe, by a party of convicts and soldiers, proved to be unsuitable and upon searching for a better location to settle,

Food Producers for Brisbane Town

From the very early days of the formation of the Settlement of Brisbane in 1824, until not too long after the end of World War II in 1945, the suburb

Glenbrae Farm

  Calligraphy: Joyce Low. Embroidery: Julie Rowe. Grandfather Alexander Levitt arrived from England in 1865. Herb, his second son came from Upper Kedron and settled in 1912 on

Mountfield Dairy

The Mountfield quilt panel depicts the life of one of The Gap's first pioneering families. Embroidery: Elaine Zendler John Hilder 1834 – 1906 married Emma Gridley 1841 -

Our Veterans

In honour of our veterans – the men and women who signed up to the Australian Defence Force, willing to sacrifice all to protect our nation, our values, and our freedom.

Parkdale Ballarat Dairy

Parkdale Ballarat Dairy quilt panel, embroidery by Julie Rowe. In 1910, brothers Robert and Arthur Low purchased 133 acres of land at The Gap for 2000 pounds, extending

Reflections

Richard H. E. Speechley – born 22nd September, 1932. Having spent his life in The Gap, this panel commemorates the printing and release of his first book "Reflections - Memories

The Gap Microblast 2008

The Gap Microblast – 16 November 2008 On Sunday 16 November at approximately 3pm, an enormous Microblast/Tornado hit Brisbane's western suburbs - with the worst affected suburbs including The Gap,

The Gap State School

Following the sale of crown land in The Gap to three purchasers - Moses Adsett, PJ & J Paten and JF McDougall - on 14th September 1858 and the second

Tula

Tula was the home of Major C.W.S French and his wife Mrs P.C. French (nee Paten). It was built at the time of their marriage in 1923 on the western

Walton

‘Walton’, noted for it’s extensive gardens and as the Paten family home, was named after a village near Jesse Paten’s birthplace, Aylesbury Walton, the home of Jesse Paten

What’s in a Name?

This magnificent Fig Tree once dwarfed everything in the vicinity of Payne Road. Street and place names within The Gap area can often be cause for discussion as

Go to Top