You are here:--Carnegie Family

Carnegie Family

David Carnegie: Born Carnoustie, Scotland, 1885; died Brisbane 1981.

Lucie Carnegie (nee) Barton Born London, 1883; died Brisbane 1976.

When David migrated to Australia in 1910, Lucie was to follow a year later and following marriage, lived at Sherwood where son Donald Bruce and daughters Muriel (known as Berry) and Phyllis (known as Peggy) were born.

Dave served in the Australian Army during WWI, serving in the Middle East and then remained in the permanent army until his retirement in the early 1950s.

During the second World War, Dave assisted General Macarthur’s staff with the purchase and movement of supplies, while Lucie helped form and worked with the Prisoner of War Association in Queensland.

Setting up in The Gap in 1925 at No.87 Settlement Road, Lucie attended to the running of the farm (poultry).

In 1940, Muriel married Kevin Hayes who became a casualty of the war and Peggy became a Mrs Leonard Burke and their daughter Lee resides in The Gap.

Following his return after being a P.O.W, Don was to marry Connie Proctor, the girl over the road, on the 21st May 1949.

Depicted on this panel is a heart representing a strong family bond, a Tiger-Moth plane from which Don took many aerial photos of our district and Orchid flowers reflecting his wonderful growing skills and interest in this bloom.

Don is survived by Connie and children, Glen (deceased) and Robyn, grandchildren Matthew and Laura and great granddaughter Lily.

 

  • Carnegie family

    The Carnegie family who lived opposite the Proctor family on Settlement Road, uphill from the bridge at the Chaprowe Road intersection. From left: Peggy, Lucie, David, Donald and Betty; photographed on 21st May, 1949.

    Date: 1949
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Carnegie’s first car

    Don Carnegie going for a drive in the Carnegie’s first car, a 1937 Whippet.

    Date: c. 1937
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Carnegie’s First Home

    Don and Connie Carnegie’s modest home in Chaprowe Road for four years whilst they built their new home. The view of cleared land to the north west is the location of by Eppalong, Gundara and Narambi Streets in 2001.

    Date: c. 1954
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Carnegie’s dam

    Carnegie’s dam at the rear of their property on Chaprowe Road photographed around 1954. In 2001 the dam is covered by Gurdara Street and the ridge seen at the top of the photo is the location of Narambi Street.

    Date: c. 1954
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Chaprowe Road

    Connie Carnegie photographed around 1954 from Chaprowe Road looking south towards Waterworks Road and Mt Cootha.

    Date: c. 1954
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Chaprowe Road

    Taken in the late 1060s from Chaprowe Road looking west to Mt Nebo Road.

    Date: c. 1960s
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Chaprowe Road

    Don Carnegie and his dog Whiskey enjoying the view to the west with the Carnegie and Proctor homes  in the centre and Ian and Daphne Harrison’s home in the upper centre. Don is standing on what is now (in 2001) an extended Chaprowe Road.

    Date: c. 1954
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Chaprowe Road

    Looking north-east from Low’s hill across Waterworks Road in the 1960s. Don and Connie Carnegie’s home and Keith and Pat Proctor’s home in Chaprowe Road can be seen in the centre of the photograph in the cleared section of the mountain.

    Date: c. 1960s
    Courtesy: Ron Low Photographic Collection
    Quick View
    Details
  • Connie and Don Carnegie

    Connie and Don Carnegie in 1951 at Connie’s brother Keith’s wedding.

    Date: 1951
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Connie and Don Carnegie Wedding

    Proctor family with bride Connie at her wedding to Don Carnegie.

    Date: 1949
    Courtesy: Maureen and Jack Proctor
    Quick View
    Details
  • Connie and Lee Carnegie

    Connie Carnegie with young Lee and Whisky the dog, photographed around 1954 from 72 Chaprowe Road looking to the South West toward Mount Cootha before the TV towers were constructed.

    Date: c. 1954
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Connie Carnegie

    Connie Carnegie in 1949 enjoying the view from the top of Settlement Road overlooking Ferny Grove. The Pickering cow bails are visible in the bottom left and the Pickering’s home situated on the left at the next bend in the road. The grassy slopes on the right hand side were later the location of quarrying industries activities.

    Date: 1949
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Connie Carnegie

    Connie Carnegie sitting beside the dam at the back of their property on Chaprowe Road closely watched by faithful dog Whiskey. Water was pumped from the dam for gardening. The location of this dam is now Gundara Street (in 2001).

    Date: c. 1954
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • David Carnegie

    Portrait of David Carnegie taken in Scotland in 1909, one year before emigrating to Australia. David was a Major in the Permanent Army, fought in the Boer War and continued his Army career in Australia at Victoria Barracks. David served in the Australian Army during WWI, serving in the Middle East and then remained in the permanent army until his retirement in the early 1950s. He relocated from Sherwood to Settlement Road, The Gap in 1925.

    Date: 1909
    Courtesy: Maureen and Jack Proctor
    Quick View
    Details
  • Don Carnegie

    Don Carnegie pictured in 1946, back on home soil after World War II.

    Date: c. 1946
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Don Carnegie

    Don Carnegie leaving for work at the Queensland Ambulance Transport Brigadein in 1971. Don worked for the Q.A.T.B. for 17 years, retiring in December 1975.

    Date: 1971
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Don Carnegie

    Don Carnegie with his swag on the corner of Settlement Road, The Gap. He was en route to the mining hut at Mt Nebo for the weekend. In the background is the site of future The Gap State School and Mrs Ross’s home.

    Date: c. 1931
    Courtesy: Millie Smith
    Quick View
    Details
  • Don’s Home Made Tractor

    Don, Glen and Robyn Carnegie photographed in 1961 sitting in Don’s home made tractor, which was powered by a motor cycle engine with a horse drawn scoop used for the carrying tray. The tractor was used extensively on the property for collecting firewood and gathering of rocks on the Carnegie property.

    Date: 1961
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Keith and Pat Proctor’s home

    Don and Connie Carnegie’s home on the right, photographed in 1954, looking north west across what is known as Eppalong Street in 2001. Keith and Pat Proctor’s home is visible on the left and homes in Settlement Road are partially visible in the centre.

    Date: 1954
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Mary Jane Kate Burton

    Portrait of Mary Jane Kate Burton, mother of Lucie Carnegie and grandmother of Peggy, Don and Betty Carnegie. Mary lived close by to Lucie in Settlement Road in the location where Mrs Walker’s horse riding school was operated in later years. Mary moved to The Gap in the 1920s and passed away in October 1935; she is buried in The Gap Cemetery.

    Date:
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
  • Motorcyle Men

    From left are Mac Cameron (?), Tom Curtis and Don Carnegie on motocyles.

    Date:
    Courtesy: Connie Carnegie
    Quick View
    Details
2019-12-11T07:23:20+00:00