The view from the back of Bill Harvey’s property in Moggill Road and looking towards Herb Wilson’s property. Bill Harvey’s farm buildings are in the foreground and in the background on Moggill Road are from left, Wilson’s house, garage and cow bails, circa 1990.
A foot bridge was built by residents in about 1965, to enable women with strollers to cross the creek to reach the shop and the bus. Note the high level of the water, it has never remained at that level since the dam wall was raised.
Humorous anecdote. While the working bee was busy spanning the creek with timbers, a little girl piped up, “Mummy Mummy, Daddy’s getting his feet wet.” Daddy was up to his chin in the water, and we all had a good laugh.
1. First Litter & crew, Senior Office J.W. Taylor (in helmet)
2. The Sulky & Litter. In 1897 the first sulky, drawn by a white pony, was introduced. The litter was taken out behind the sulky and wheeled back to Hospital by the Bearers.. The Ambulance wagonette was also introduced about this time.
3. A well equipped plant room at the turn of the century.
1. The Motor Car – Ambulance
In 1908 the Motor Vehicle was introduced into the Service, note that the litter was still transported out, to be wheeled on the return to Hospital.
The first Motor Vehicle Body was made by the same firm that built the first Litter in 1893 – The Federal Carriage Co.
2. The Ambulance Vehicle
Within several years motorised transport had improved so greatly that by the early 1900's Ambulance Transport was completely motorised. The litter was now obsolete.
Image: Ford Motor Ambulance
Prior to development along Moggill Road, (Moggill meaning “Place of Lizards”).
The old dairy shed on the farm of Frank and Harriet Wilson – circa 1960, prior to arrival of housing estates. The farm was situated on right between first and second dip in Moggill Road west of Payne Road. The home on hill in background is that of Bill and Jean Harvey.
This home was the “Sheffield Family” home on right-hand bottom side of School Road just down from Waterworks Road. At the rear was a sawmill used in cutting local timber. Photograph – courtesy of the late Ruth Proctor who rented the home.
The new R.S.L. building in Settlement Road, The Gap, viewed from Jack and Maureen Proctor’s home on 8 April 1980 just after a car over over turned at the corner of Chaprowe Road (visible in the centre left of photo).
This sweeping view of The Gap looking north is the result of joing 3 snaps taken by Don Trotman, architect, from the position of where the watertank now stands in Parkdale estate. At the time the hill was 22 feet higher. He and his wife Pam built their home in the foreground, Woodbine Street. Circa 1958.